We Accept Hair Donation for the Canadian Cancer Society Wig Program
Have you thought about donating your hair? If you have enough spare, consider supporting a great cause with us. At Best Little Hair House in Penticton, we’re proud to collect and donate hair to the Canadian Cancer Society. Your hair will help make wigs for cancer patients across Canada who lost their hair during chemotherapy. The wigs are distributed to Canadian Cancer wig banks across the country. There is no monetary involvement for the Society or cost to the wig recipients. Please consider donating today and help support someone in a significant way, as they go through their life-changing journey.
Here’s How it Works
Prepare your hair:
- A minimum of 8 inches in length is required
- Hair must be clean and dry (and not swept off the floor)
- Hair should be chemical free (not bleached, colored, or permed)
Steps to Make the Cut
- Clean, shampoo and/or condition your hair (do not use any styling products or finishing sprays).
- Gather your hair at the nape of your neck.
- Put your hair into a ponytail with an elastic band. Make sure the band is tight to keep your ponytail intact once cut. If your ponytail comes out of the band after being cut, it will not qualify for donation. A second ponytail can be placed around the middle to keep the hair together.
- Ensure the plastic band is just below the area where you will make your cut.
- Measure your ponytail to ensure the cut ponytail will be at least 8 inches long. Anything shorter will not be used, as 8 inches or longer is required to make a wig. If your ponytail is not 8 inches long, continue to grow it out and try again. There is no maximum length.Cut your hair just above the tight elastic band, so that the elastic band remains on the ponytail (this is where the second band placed around the middle may come in handy).
- Do not wash or style the ponytail after it has been cut.
- Place the ponytail with the elastic band(s) intact in a zipper-lock bag and seal it. Please ensure the ponytail is completely dry.
- Bring it to the salon. We will add your donation to our pink box and deliver it to the Cancer Society.
If you have questions about making a hair donation, give us a call.